Classic Smokey Eyes & Red Lips!

Its been a crazy week so far and I have been enjoying the weather here in Kolkata after the scorching summer heat - as it is raining ! The temperature levels have lowered down and the bengal population is in relief now. Like, a lot more. I haven't posted anything about sharing a look and a breakup of the makeup lately. So, I thought, maybe I can write about Smokey eyes that most women find difficult to create. It is a very easy procedure but following the technique is the most important task here. And when it comes to pairing a smokey eye with a hot red lip, a bong can never go wrong with the whole look. Let us read some more.

Smokey eyes and red lips - The classic timeless look that has got no definition. Smokeys and red lips are a classy combination that suits almost all Indian skin tones. The correct trick is to attentively blend the colors, understand the shape of your eyes, using good makeup brushes (most importantly, correct shapes of brushes) and knowing the art of blending.

Blending is an essential process and for me, it is the most important step when it comes to eye shadow application. The process holds even more importance when one does a smokey eye look. A smokey eye look doesn't always mean using blacks, greys and browns. It can be created with any color. Although most smokeys have blacks and browns and they fall under heavy eye makeup, so many makeup artists recommend pairing it up with a nude lipcolor. I think, one should try a smokey eye only if one knows that she can carry it well. A smokey eye can soon turn into panda eyes if one fails to blend the colors nicely. One can also do a smokey eye with their regular kohl but for that, your hands need to be super steady and even more enthusiastic to play with colors. There are many women who are hesitant to get a smokey eye done for a daytime look. I think it is perfectly okay to get a mild smokey eye done for the eyes if one uses mild browns or browns, especially for a day look.

The breakup of the look that I will share below in this post, shall give you a clear idea about the colors that you can choose to create a smokey eye for a day look. I will also write about the product usage in detail and also answer few FAQs that most people have been asking me lately.

It was a pre-DurgaPujo shoot just few weeks before the grand festival and I was invited to shoot with my friend who wanted all Bong pictures. She wanted to bring out the essence of being a Bengali. I decided to get all dolled up in a typical Gorod Saree which is ivory in color and has its borders red, pairing it up with pearls and the classic smokey eye and red lips, inspite of being a day look. Now, you must be thinking, why smokey eye, and that too a day look?

Weird much?
No! Its not 😊

Because we all rock a smokey eye, if one follows the correct technique thoroughly - Blending the colors and the right way to choose them. It is obvious for one, to think, that a daytime look and a smokey eye is a big no no. But then, it all depends on how fluently you play with your hands and brushes. And I assure you, after reading this post, all you will need to do is a little practise and effort to try. A smokey eye can be achieved with either eye shadow colors or kohl. Black kohl works best for me because I am still not sure about the color application as I haven't tried yet but I promise I would try it. When I achieve the look, I would post again. This would surprise you to know that how can a black kohl, create so much magic? Trust me, you all can. One just needs to study their face shape, knowledge of color application on the crease line, brushes or magic wands as I call them and blending, as I have mentioned already.

Please note, that since this was a shoot, we had to ensure that the makeup is flawless. And for that, a proper base was the first step to start. A base lasts long when one uses a face primer. A primer always helps your makeup to stay for a long period of time, even if you have a super oily skin. All you need is to invest in a good primer keeping your skin type in mind. I always make sure that I cleanse my face thoroughly before any heavy makeup. I use Oriflame's Cleansing Gel from Love Nature range in Aloe Vera. It is meant for normal to combination skin types. The next step would be moisturisation. I moisturise my face with Vaseline Healthy White Glow Lotion. Using a moisturiser is an important step, as to prevent the face from looking cakey and dull due to heavy makeup application. Next, I have used Oriflame Beauty Face Perfecting Primer, to prepare an even base to start off with makeup. It evens out the skin, prepares it to absorb the makeup and hold it for a longer period of time. I let it absorb into my skin for 5-7 minutes. When absorbed, I have applied Lakme Skin Tints Souffle followed by Pond's BB Cream. I have freckles and I ensured that it gives a medium coverage, atleast. It is good to be flawless after makeup but it is best to keep it natural with your makeup. It gives a very gloomy look to your face, if one thinks that makeup is only to make one look fairer. No! It is a wrong concept. Hide your flaws and highlight your best features, that is when you achieve a perfect makeup look.

The shoot was planned on a crazy summer-end afternoon so we did not want sweat to tune down the rosy cheeks. I am sure nobody wants ! 😀


We decided, to play heavy with the quantity of loose skin powder. I have used Oriflame's Matte Face Compact. Some areas, airbrushed whereas some areas are dabbed with the beauty sponge. I did not use any concealer here as the BB Cream and the Souffle did all the trick possible. Although, I always follow using the concealer, especially for smokeys else that would make your eyes look like a panda! I was actually afraid of using the loose powder because I wanted the look to be flawless more, but then I remembered that I already have my primer on so no worries! 😆

Coming to the important part. I started off using Lakme Eyeconic Black Kohl on both my lids, unevenly. Remember when using a black kohl for smokeys, it need not be even because you still have your crease line area left and there is lot more to do. When done, apply your fingers to smudge or a smudge brush but do not take it too much on the crease line. Avoid that area, as much as you can. When smudged, take a mild brown shadow from any palette and swipe it across the crease line, run it across the uneven kohl area and blend it till you get a finished blending. After this, get a dark brown shadow from any palette and apply it mildly on the outer corners of your eyes, mainly concentrating in swiping the brushes towards the inner eye area. It is a very small area, hence, watch out your hands and the application technique. One wrong swipe, and it can spoil the whole look. Next, intensifying the eyes. If your eyes are smaller in size, and you are experimenting with a smokey eye, remember to NEVER USE kohl on your lower waterline. It will make your eyes look more smaller. Instead, just use it on the lower lashline and smudge it mildly with a thin eye brush, keeping the daytime look in mind again. I have used Maybelline Studio Drama Gel Liner to line my upper lashline. It gives a more defined look to the eyes. I always complete my eye makeup with a mascara. I have used Oriflame's The ONE Lash Resistance Waterproof Mascara for my lashes.

The eye makeup is complete!

Coming to the lips, I have lined my lips with Colorbar Lipliner 007 Nude Pink and filled my lips with that color. A nude lipliner is a must-use before any lipcolor application because it helps the color to stay for a longer time. When done, start filling your lips with the lipcolor that you have to use. I have Chambor Powder Matte's Lipcolor in the shade 'Rubis Rouge'. The color is super matte but it also moisturises the lips after application. Check Flipkart or Chambor Counters for the price. The lips are done too!

I have no contour on my cheeks. I have used a mild blush on from The ONE range of Oriflame Cosmetics in the shade 'Luminous Peach'. It also comes with a highlighter that I have applied on the bridge of the nose, temples, cupids bow and chin area.

Some pearls to enhance the feel. The look is complete! 😊

Time for some basic FAQs with answers :

1. What is your skin type?
My skin type is from Normal to Combination Skin.

2. Which would be your favourite Red lipstick?
Ruby Woo, MAC.

3. Your favourite eye shadow palette?
Urban Decay & Makeup Revolution. Lakme, Oriflame and Maybelline for regular use.

4. Your favourite experiments from the past?
The Pre-Durgapuja shoot with all bong things. It takes a lot of effort to drape a saree beautifully. But when I plan it, I make sure I do it with grace.

5. Your favourite part of Makeup?
Highlighting my eyes with colors. I love experimenting but sometimes less is more. I believe in that.

6. Your regular night cream?
Optimals Night Cream for Combination skin type from Oriflame Cosmetics.

7. Why CTM?
CTM or Cleansing, Toning and Moisturising gives a lift to your tired and dull face. It makes your skin live some more. I do it on a regular basic that is, twice a day.

8. A tip for all makeup lovers:
Less is always more. Makeup is not meant to make one fairer or a face, cakey. It is to hide the flaws and even out a complexion. It is about highlighting one's features and raising your confidence by carrying it well. It is about, experimenting with colors and playing with them. It is also about seeing, what suits you the best, at the end of the day.

9. Your hair secret:
Regular hair spas and using products from Wella Professionals, as recommemded by my stylist.

10. Skincare Tip:
Drinking atleast 6 glasses of water daily to flush out toxins, sleeping early, stretching and yoga regularly because I love exercises. You are never fit if you do not exercise.

11. Makeup Tip:
Experiment, a lot. But, balance the look. 😊

I am sure the FAQs will answer most of your querries. Some more interesting posts coming up soon on the blog. Till then, keep experimenting and never lose the confidence in you. Carrying yourself with grace is the most important thing in a woman, I feel.

If you have any questions, drop a comment or a mail.

Thanks for reading!

Bhalo theko ❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doy 'The Jungle Tales' Limited Edition Bath Soaps | Review

My Color Inspiration!

DRAPING A 6-YARD BEAUTY!